Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Article on Implementing Quantum Computers

I came across this article: Quantum computers are coming- just don't ask when. I'm no expert on physical implementations of quantum computers, but I thought it gave a good overview of some of the current physical implementations and challenges. The optimistic view of overcoming the challenges for building and quantum computers is right on target in my opinion.

I also thought that the end of the article was particularly noteworthy: it mentions that the first quantum computers may be devices that are originally used as subsystems of classical computers. This is Knill's QRAM model as I've previously written about. It is good to see that the software and hardware worlds of quantum computing are thinking along the same lines for initial implementations. There is a lot of work still to be done, but we're making good progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment